Deborah Vanessa Owusu-Bonsu, also known as Sister Deborah, was born in Ghana to an Ashanti father and a Romanian mother – a background that gives her the ability to see things from more than one perspective and thus makes her open to diversity, readily identifying the beauty in things as well as developing a genuine interest in people and their cultures.
Graduating with a Bachelor’s Degree from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, she followed up with a Master’s Degree from the University of the Arts London. She has worked successfully for both small enterprises as well as big corporations in Ghana, the United States and United Kingdom.
From doing backing vocals/features, she decided to embark on a music career. Her first hit as a solo artiste got her to perform at Glastonbury Festival 2013 and also broke Ghana YouTube and WSHH records in its first week. She was interviewed on CNN and also had a full feature on BBC in January 2013.
A well-known TV presenter and fashion icon in Ghana, Deborah is a multi-talented and passionate professional with an exceptional work attitude. She has found a way to blend her many passions for fashion, mentoring, coaching, presenting and representing Ghana’s beauty.
In recent times her passion to give back to society has led to her involvement and commitment to several charitable causes including:
- Supporting the Juliet Ibrahim Foundation’s efforts to provide assistance to patients undergoing dialysis treatment
- Voluntarily supporting an X-Cholera campaign to kick out cholera at many different locations with other celebrities
- Voluntarily joining a Unilever campaign on the Global Hand Washing Day 2015 at Kanda Cluster of Schools in Accra
- Current Autism ‘Greenheart’ Ambassador for Tonaton
- Being part of a team that made a donation to the Children’s Ward of the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital during Christmas 2015
- Being part of a UNICEF campaign video on cholera and Ebola prevention
Sister Deborah is currently working on projects in the music, charity, tourism and fashion space, continually associating herself with endeavors that allow her to express her creative sides and also excite her passions.